LTD Update

1982 Ford LTD station wagon

Although a freeze-out plug popped out of the block sometime during the winter, the LTD’s 302-cu.in. V-8 that I rebuilt last year is back on track, and is running nice and smooth with not a leak in sight. I only wished the variable venturi carb that I rebuilt functioned as well.

So on the advise of Hemmings Muscle Machine’s editor, Terry McGean, I bought a used, period-replacement carburetor. It’s a two-barrel Holley, with automatic choke, that’s set up specifically for the car’s AOD automatic transmission. After I purchased a rebuild kit, I discovered many little things wrong with the carb while rebuilding it, such as bent linkage arms, wrong fasteners and a clump of JB Weld to seal a leak on the bottom of the fuel bowl.

Holley two-barrel carburetor

Because I want this full-frame station wagon to be my daily driver again, and want it to run as smooth, efficient and trouble free as possible, this way I can better use my free time working on my other restoration projects, I’ve decided to send the replacement carb to Holley and have it rebuilt professionally. Besides a thorough sonic cleaning and replacement of all the gaskets, diaphragms, power valves and needle/seat assemblies, it will also be tested on a flow bench to ensure that it conforms to the correct metering and air/fuel volume specifications. This service will cost me $332.50, and will take four weeks. As soon as I get the carb back and bolt it to the intake I’ll let you know if the rebuild was worth it.



Related posts:



Related posts:



0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий